In 4 Easy Steps
Spring has sprung! Whilst you are flinging open your windows and clearing out clutter at home, have you thought of doing the same for your website?
Spring, the season of new beginnings, is the perfect time to give your website a bit of TLC. Here are some simple, easy to follow tips to get you started:
1. Review your content
As well as an over-all proof read and grammar check, look at the following:
- Are your contact details up to date? Make sure people can get in touch with you.
- Does your about page include your most recent experience and a recent photograph? Potentially the most visited page after your homepage deserves some love.
- Do your testimonials and/or case studies relate to work you’ve done in the last six months, not six years ago? Showcase your best work to entice potential clients.
- Are your terms and conditions current? Out of date can equal invalid!
2. Fix any broken links
Broken links are annoying – you click a link and either go nowhere or not where you expected. And then promptly leave the website! If you are using WordPress, try installing the Broken Link Checker plugin to scan through the site – just remember to deactivate it after use, it’s a real resource hogger! Alternatively, running your URL through the W3C Link Checker will highlight any broken links.
3. Check whether your website is mobile friendly
Having a mobile friendly website is becoming increasingly necessary if you want to rank well with search engines, particularly Google. They have a nifty tool, the Mobile-Friendly Test to help you check. Simply enter your URL and run the test.
4. Back-up your website
What would you do if something happened to your website? Having a back-up of your site will save you time, money and stress if the unimaginable ever occurred. Most website hosting providers offer back-up solutions with minimal fuss. If you are using WordPress, there are a number of plugins you can use, including BackUpWordPress and BackWPup. I recommend at least a monthly back-up of your website, or more often if you blog regularly or have an e-commerce site.
If you would like some help spring cleaning your website, decoding the results of Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test or choosing a back-up solution that suits you, please get in touch – call for a chat on 07530 547683 or email email@example.com. Happy Spring Cleaning!